Regain Control of both Structured and Unstructured Data
Within any given IT structure, there are countless files of varying size and purpose. Some are critical to the day-to-day or long-term operations of a company while others are, at best, a waste of space, or at worst, problematic to maintaining compliance standards. While many files are important to maintaining the functionality of an IT structure, many organizations are unaware of the file content they have available, how many files exist, who created it and when, how many resources it consumes, and how much is actually only duplicate content. The APTARE's File Analytics allows a clear view into the complex layers often seen in file content and boasts a wide array of tools to help administrators effectively manage these files.
Managing unstructured data is a key component in both reducing storage costs and minimizing corporate risk, but it is often a difficult and incredibly time consuming undertaking. The Console's File Analytics uses agentless data collection techniques to quickly gather the necessary information from file systems across multiple storage systems. The information is then stored in a database for administrators to review. APTARE's patented technology:
- Provides insight into billions of files
- Highlights inappropriate data use
- Assists with compliance and legal regulations
- Identifies duplicate and obsolete data for improved storage tiers
What File Analytics Can Do
APTARE's File Analytics provides insights that allow administrators to make improvements never thought possible in areas including:
- Policy Enforcement and Compliance
- Minimizing unauthorized use of corporate resources, such as users storing music or videos on company servers, is a common challenge facing administrators.
- APTARE File Analytics can aggregate and analyze information by file type, making it a perfect watchdog for enforcing corporate retention and unauthorized usage policies.
- Security and Corporate Risk Mitigation
- APTARE File Analytics helps identify sensitive non-corporate files that can represent a significant security risk.
- Files owned by employees can be quickly identified and then quarantined or archived to ensure corporate guidelines on data ownership and retention are maintained.
- Storage Tiering Decisions
- Due to the often incredible quantities of stored data, unstructured data storage on appropriate storage tiers is a critical part of the data's life cycle.
- APTARE File Analytics provides relevant information like last access dates which enables storage administrators to determine the "time value" of files to the organization, who can then move data to appropriate tiers.
- Reclamation and Deduplication
- APTARE File Analytics assists in quickly identifying duplication, along with their locations and owners so that IT administrators can free up resources for business-critical information.
- Consolidating duplicate files and removing inactive files results in faster, improved data backups.
Unique Approach to Profiling Unstructured Data
APTARE File Analytics differs from other file profiling tools in no less than five distinct areas.
- First, it uses lightweight, optimized data collectors that are specifically tuned for each file system or NAS environment, as opposed to other profiling tools, which take a great deal of time crawling the entire file system.
- Second, the retrieved file-level information is transmitted to a scalable, purpose-built database designed to hold billions of file-level details. This approach overcomes the scalability problems facing relational database storage.
- Third, File Analytics quickly queries the database and automatically turns the data into business information using APTARE's knowledge aggregators. These results are fed into the APTARE Console Oracle database.
- Fourth, APTARE's File List Export allows administrators to extract file-level information from its optimized database for use in existing storage resource management tools.
- Finally, APTARE Console aggregates the exported information and graphically represents trends over time. Other profiling tools only provide "point-in-time" views of aggregation.
Gathering Information and Classifying Files
Within any IT structure, the vast quantities of data can quickly become overwhelming. APTARE's File Analytics affords administrators a clear view of the file content, allowing them to make the most of available resources. The File Analytics' built-in file profiling as well as classification in the form of knowledge aggregators enables administrators to quickly categorize vast amounts of data.
The information is then stored in a purpose-built database that is pushed as structured objects into the APTARE Console Oracle database. The aggregated data can then be analyzed to pinpoint problems and identify areas in which growth is possible. As this aggregated information increases over time, administrators can review historical trends and analytics in order to properly plan for future needs and growth.
|SUPPORTED FILE SYSTEMS|
|CIFS||Any Common Internet File System (CIFS) Mounted Share CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Servers, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server|
|Linux||CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Servers, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server|
|Unix||HP HP-UX, IBM AIX, Oracle/Sun Solaris|
|Windows||Microsoft Windows Server|
File Analytics is fully integrated into the APTARE® StorageConsole platform and is 100 percent compatible with all of our other products and solutions.