The Safest Way to Replicate Important Data
Whether you're moving a small amount of data between databases or relocating an entire database, consistent data replication is a valuable asset. Data replication is one of the most common areas in which stored data is lost and can result in a number of unpredictable problems depending on the lost data. In addition to the problems that come with poor data replication, tracing a problem can be incredibly difficult, as the source data is often changed in the transfer process. Suffice it to say, accurate replication is a critical part of any data management system.
The APTARE's Replication Manager sets the standard for safe and exact data replication by ensuring that the policies and service level agreements (SLAs) for replication of mission-critical data are being met. Within such critical tasks as data replication, even small mistakes and errors can put entire companies at risk. The Replication Manager allows administrators an end-to-end view of storage replication environments that measures their compliance with business continuity objectives. With APTARE's Replication Manager, you can:
- Compare replication policies to actual replication events and monitor recovery point objectives
- Examine the stability of mirrored data on replication volumes to make sure it is adequately protected and not subject to data corruption
- Ensure recoverability status of split mirror volumes before rollback operations
- Determine replication consistency for applications and databases that span multiple volumes
- Generate automatic notification in the event that mission-critical data replication falls outside its recovery point objective
Increase Efficient Use of Resources
One major benefit of replication software is the capability of generating multiple point-in-time snapshot copies. While these copies provide an important measure of protection by guaranteeing data recovery from the destination database, obsolete copies can end up wasting a great deal of storage space in both the source storage system and the destination storage system. Through the insight provided by the Replication Manager, administrators can see what storage capacity is truly necessary for snapshot and what storage capacity is being wasted. Additionally, the Replication Manager's end-to-end view allows administrators to:
- Examine the versions of both local point-in-time snapshots as well as remote mirrored or vaulted copies of these snapshots
- Determine quickly if snapshots or mirrors are out of date and if physical storage capacity can be reclaimed
- Plan for growth of primary storage capacity and secondary disaster recovery storage capacity as replication demands increase
- Issue warnings when replication storage capacity becomes dangerously low
Protection for critical data is a tremendously important, if expensive, part of data replication, due to the technologically-intensive nature of high-importance transfers. Storage and networking resources can be strained by data replication, and cost increases can be difficult to predict. The Replication Manager removes the challenge of estimating costs by helping administrators gain a better understanding of the costs associated with every aspect of data replication.
The Replication Manager can help administrators by:
- Obtaining usage statistics for each individual replication volume at both the source and destination storage systems
- Examining the impact of moving destination replication volumes to lower-cost storage systems (tiered storage) or of changing the retention period of these volumes
- Producing chargeback reports based on replication consumption levels along with associated costs based on user-defined pricing
Improve Overall Performance
Replication to new databases, while often beneficial, can be challenging to the performance of an IT structure due to potential errors, but even when everything goes according to plan, remote mirroring and cloning operations can have an adverse performance impact. APTARE's Replication Manager doesn't simply help bring the new database up to speed. It actually improves performance by providing necessary insights to administrators, giving them the ability to:
- Examine replication policy schedules and determine immediately the frequency and duration of replication events from the source to the destination
- See how best to balance storage resources to arrive at a flexible data replication solution using tiered storage
- Understand the details behind remote mirroring operations by knowing their exact duration and throughput metrics and see the trends of these operations over time
All of which can lead to long-term performance upgrades.
The APTARE's Replication Manager isn't just an additional layer of security surrounding destination databases; it's a way to prevent devastating problems while simplifying the data replication process, saving money, time, and storage resources. With the monitoring afforded to administrators by the Replication Manager, data storage improvements are made easy, all within the additional security the Replication Manager offers.
|NetApp||FlexClone, SnapMirror, SnapVault, Open Systems SnapVault (OSSV)|